Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Children's Center, Victor's school








Victor is in preschool! He is in a wonderful school called the Children's Center for the Physically Disabled, which has a unique partnership between our local school system and the United Way. I was a preschool teacher there for two years, 1995-1997, and it was the most meaningful teaching experience I had ever had. The Children's Center was established in 1952, and now serves over 100 children, birth to eleven. Some of the children's disabilities at the school include: cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, Rett's syndrome, traumatic brain injury, and a number of other unusual genetic disorders.

Victor is in a three-year-old class, with Martha as his teacher and Kim as the teacher assistant. They have 7 students, 4 children with disabilities, and 3 children who are typically developing (without disabilities). Victor receives Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, and Physical Therapy weekly in his classroom. In the photo of the class sitting around the table, the Speech Therapist, Ginger, is leading a circle time activity that focuses on speech goals. The class has horseback riding therapy in the Fall, and water therapy in the Spring. They also have music class, library, and P.E. class. This keeps them very busy, which is what Victor loves!! I can't really say enough about Victor's teacher and teacher assistant. Victor has bonded with them beautifully, and I can already tell he loves his class so much. When we mention the Children's Center to him, he gets very excited and breaks into a big smile!

Victor's teacher expects him to try his best in everything he does, and I can already see a wonderful impact on his development. She uses sign language as she is speaking to Victor, and they are also using a communication device with pictures and recorded messages to help Victor express himself. I will be writing much more about Victor's classroom this year, and will include some of the incredible strategies that his teachers and therapists use with Victor. He is a very lucky little boy!