-by: Francesca Pauca, age 10-
There he was, my glorious miracle in my beloved Mother’s arms. I could not control myself, I raced quick as lightning to see him. “Can I hold him Mommy? Please? Please?” I asked pleadingly. ”Yes.” Mommy said. I plopped down on the bouncy hospital bed, and she placed him gently into my arms. My mind, only being a three-year-old was perplexed and befuddled. Where did he come from? Why is he here? I had so many questions! But I did not need to know, I was just glad he was born.
“I love you.” I said to him softly. Although, something told me he was different, something told me he was special. I didn’t care, I never have. His bright, sunny, blue eyes showed me true kindness. His glimmering, shiny brown hair was flawless. His toothless grin warmed me. “I love you.” I told him again. Otherwise, I was completely speechless. I knew he would always be there for me.
“ I love you.” I whispered to him once more. Here he is, in my own arms, my extraordinary miracle, my incredible brother, my awe-inspiring, spectacular, phenomenal Victor.
Francesca's story won 3rd place in the PTA Reflections Art Contest for the Winston-Salem/Forsyth County School District (North Carolina), Literature Division, Elementary 3-5. Reflections is a National PTA Art Contest. The theme this year was the "Magic of a Moment."
